History

In 1951 William B. Anderson purchased the Pontiac Varnish Company located at 300 E. Washington Street in downtown Ann Arbor.  At this time he changed the name to Anderson Paint Company.  Mr. Anderson had served as manager of Pontiac Varnish since 1940 before buying the store.  He presided as President of Anderson Paint Company until retiring in 1970.

 

In 1958 Robert D. Anderson, Sr. joined the business.  He served under his father until becoming President in 1970.  Bob began expanding the customer base to the point where the facility on E. Washington could no longer handle the amount of sales generated there.  In 1973 he began planning the construction of a larger facility on West William.  Employing Hobbs & Black Architect firm, they designed a paint store to attract everyone's attention.  This building was twice the size of the original location and had a dramatic impact on sales.  In 1973 sales reached $448,000, by 1980 sales grew to $1.5 million.  Underlying this growth was a formula for success that remains with our company today, quality products, competitive pricing, and a knowledgable staff that is dedicated to servicing its customers.

 

In 1979 Robert D. Anderson, Jr. joined the company, and in 1987 Tony Anderson joined his brother in the family business.  They currently share the title of President.

 

In 1999 Anderson Paint Company acquired Ann Arbor Paint & Wallpaper from Richard Worden.   Dick opened his first store in 1967 on Washtenaw Ave. between Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti.  In 1990 he acquired Delf Paint & Wallpaper located on the west side of Ann Arbor.

 

In 2007 Anderson Paint Company consolidated the West William and Stadium locations to the new headquarters located at 2386 W. Stadium Blvd.  The new location has over 9000 square feet of sales and warehouse area to serve its customers.

 

Share